I spent nearly 10 years as a staff writer and editor, before making the leap to full-time freelancing on the advice of several mentors.
It’s liberating, really. Being on the outside, not bogged down by other things, I find it easier to focus only on the goal, the deadline, and the creative vision for the piece — be it a …
- Feature articles (for print and web)
- Website content, including strong SEO
- Email marketing
- Content marketing
- Digital marketing (PPC, display, retargeting, Facebook)
- Post-click marketing (landing pages and beyond)
Editors and sources alike appreciate my ability to establish rapport and write compelling, accurate copy.
Wide Interests, Big Enthusiasm
An avowed generalist, I credit my liberal arts education from The Colorado College and broad professional experience, with giving me the ability to pick up nearly any topic quickly.
I’m best known for writing about:
- Pets, especially dogs
- Veterinary medicine
- Animal welfare
- Higher education
- Trends (both consumer and trade)
- Profiles (people and businesses)
- Green Living
- Weddings / Bridal
Dog Lover, Dog Writer
I’m not ashamed to say I’m crazy about dogs. As the former lead creative services writer for the American Animal Hospital Association and publications manager for the American Humane Association, I bring years experience writing about dogs and veterinary medicine. I also served in the board of directors for the National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy, a coalition of animal welfare groups, and as a local shelter volunteer for several years.
Thrilled about my first (solo) book >> Heart Dog – Surviving the Loss of Your Canine Soul Mate!
Ah, the Newspaper Days
From 2001 to 2006, I served as the “Vows” columnist for The Denver Post — attending some two dozen weddings each year. I also had the chance to write a few “Vows” and “Field Notes” pieces for The New York Times for a while.
I greatly miss newspaper work. There is nothing like it. Nothing.
Still, I’ve found new publishing outlets online.
I love to:
- Knit and crochet
- Grow vegetables in my tiny greenhouse
- Cook (Hey, being of Italian descent, it’s expected.)
- Binge-watch TV series on Netflix
- Eat chocolate
- Train dogs (do canine agility and livestock herding … badly)
- Read articles my journalist pals post on social media while I eat my lunch